Monday, November 24, 2014

Songwriting Complete!

I have spent nearly two years songwriting through The Hobbit and have recently completed the last song.

For me it is quite exciting. I started this journey as an exercise to keep my creative juices flowing and to dabble in something fun and, as things do, it wound up taking on a life of its own. I work full time and have a busy home life (we just had baby number 5!) so often songwriting has had to happen in the gaps. 19 songs is a tall order when one's plate is already full. I think back and am grateful that for the burst of inspiration right at the beginning. That set me up for the long haul. I knocked out about five songs rather effortlessly and figured I'd better see it through. None of the others came quite as quick, and frankly I had some knock-down, drag-outs with a few, but now I stand victorious. At least in my own little world.

The other thing that propelled me was a sense of obligation. I let the bird out of the cage prematurely. After I finished about half of the book I started to share the songs online and performed them live locally and some folks, to my wonder and great delight, liked what they heard. Since then an online news site called Middle-earth News interviewed me and has highlighted some songs and I've heard from numerous folks who have listened to my home recordings and live shows that they'd like to hear more. This gave me greater motivation to press on and now I can say that my obligation is on the cusp of being fulfilled.

Now that I've finished songwriting I can focus more attention to sharing these songs with you. I have a couple of ideas brewing that I think will (at least) be pretty fun and hopefully will help as a springboard to get these songs into even more ears.

I don't want to be specific just yet, but I did want to let you all know that there is work going on beneath the surface. And also I wanted to give you a heads up. Keep an eye out around here and on my Facebook page for some upcoming details about how you can become a fellow conspirator and help me set out on this journey.

Thanks for all of your support!

No comments:

Post a Comment